View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I've had a year and a hlaf to reflect on this since my last post. I have decided that in the games i do, I am not going to change the way I have treated the kicker protection prior to the re-clarification of the rule.

After the clinic I mentioned and other discussions I decided to keep the new interperation in my mind for a play where it came up. Sure enough, I had a JV game wheer I was wearingt he white hat. Clean snap, punter took a three step approach, cleanly kicks the ball, but due to holding the ball a long time, a defender was in the air extended to block the kick. Contact is made and the kicker goes down hard (not hurt just solid contact). I think to myself, if this was a pass and the kicker was a passer, would I throw the flag. Definately not, so I held the flag. I reflected on that for a while and decided that I didn't feel right making that call that way only on a re-interperation of a rule.

I can appreciate the desire to make the treatment of a kicker consistant (as to address the rugby style kickers and the muff type situations. I appreciate that not I have a tool to defend no flag when either of those situations arise...but I can't bring myself to not give that protection to a kicker when he has made no sign of desception or deviation from a normal punt routine.

Maybe if the federation comes down and make a more specifically spell out the implications I will change my stance...btu right now I don't want to be the lone ranger ion this as an official. And I can assure you, all the other officials I've spokne with around here have not altered the way the protect the kicker.