Thread: Pushing/Posting
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckref
I strongly disagree with the "no talking" philosophy espoused by some here. I have always found you can manage games better with a few carefully said words versus a stony silence. We need to understand that many coaches do not have a good grasp on the rules. Telling a player the correct rule only makes the game better for him/her and the next game official they have. I like hearing well timed, concise descriptions for players and coaches to explain common violations and fouls from an official...it tells me they give a sh*t, versus the cloistered monk school of silence officiating...this does not help the game.
Dan and I, and Jurassic and I, and others and I have discussed this before, and I don't think they're advocating for a no-talk philosophy. They're saying (to me) don't talk too much. I do have that tendency, and then when I try to correct it, I swing too far the other way and don't talk at all. I'm working on finding the right balance, and that was the aim of my question in the OP. They were saying that I haven't found it yet!