View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 11:59pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
As you say Jim, with Type B obstruction the umpire needs to judge where the runner will be protected to when the obstruction happens and then watch the play to see if that protection should change.
Walk me through this. R2 posseses 3B, R1 2B. So to begin R1 is protected to 3B
Quote:
In this play, R1 was obstructed no more then 10 feet from second base,
Why does this make a difference or doea it?
Quote:
then R1 proceeds to run to an occupied base(no one dragged him there, he ran on his own)
I'll assume this is irreleavnt.
Quote:
Once he realizes that he couldn't advance to third because of R2, he tries to retreat back to second.
Also irrelevant as to why he retreated and this play.
Quote:
Given what the offense did after the obstruction, I can't believe that the umpires still decided to protect R1 back to second. R1 and R2 are the only reason R1 is thrown out at third, if anything, R1 should have been protected to third because of where the ball and the runners were at the time of the obstruction,
Is there not a conflict between where you can be protected since 3B is occupied? This is how I interp what you are saying.
Quote:
but because of poor baserunning, R2 stayed on third and as a result R1 was stuck between 2nd and 3rd.
The obstruction protection should have ended and a double play called. Poor base running on the offence, plain and simple and BAD call by the umpires.
If R1 is obstructed, then why reverse the protection?