View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

In your play, your missed base appeal is a 4th out appeal. Some sanctioning bodies will accept this specific appeal while others will not

ASA is the only code I know of that won't allow that 4th out appeal (it's because the runner didn't score), and that's only since last year. But of course there may be others.

ASA case play 5.5.7

(FP only) With 2 outs, R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B, B5 strikes out, but the ball gets by F2. R1 scores and R2 is out of the plate. B3 failed to run to 1B and F2, after tagging R2, throws to F3 for the fourth out. Does the runner score? RULING: R1's run is not nullified. A "fourth out" appeal to nullify a run must be on the runner who has scored. (5-5C)

In the exact same case play 2 years ago, the run WAS nullified. However, ASA for some reason changed the rule, and as far as I know ASA stands alone in this ruling.

But as I think about this play, is the fourth out at 1B actually an appeal? This is not a missed base or a base left too soon. This is a base never reached. Whether somebody was put out for the third out or not, this is simply the batter-runner before reaching 1B. (But the case play makes it clear that ASA sees it another way.)

Last edited by greymule; Tue Jun 26, 2007 at 05:29pm.