View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 04:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NURef
I'm a second year official getting my first shot at regulation high school bball...freshman & some JV games this winter. Over the last year I've been so impressed with the feedback, help and exchange of information from my partners...lots to learn and lots of mistakes.

However, several veteran officials have warned me that don't be surprised if you don't get an open arms welcome from the varsity crew as you complete your freahman or JV game heading into the dressing room looking to get some quality feedback or discuss a situation. Why is this? Is it due to that fact that the varsity crew is getting mentally set for their game or is it that I'm just not worthy as a rookie...probably both. Also, any tips on how to break the ice? Thanks!
Let me put it this way. The locker room is not the best place to give a lot of advice between games. Many times the officials are already in a pre-game or getting themselves ready to work their game. Also they may not have watched a lot of the previous game at all.

Find a mentor that you can trust and use that person or persons more than some random veteran. Not all varsity officials are worthy to teach or to give good advice. Teaching just like officiating is a skill. Not everyone has the ability to share their knowledge of the game.

All I would say is if you want advice, ask for it. Many are not going to just volunteer their opinions about your game even if they paid attention. There are many rookies that do not take too kindly to a veteran that just gives advice unsolicited. Also talk too many in your association and you might be surprised when people see you are eager to learn they will be more likely to help you out. Finally if you are working a JV or freshman game before a veteran, stay and watch their entire game if you can. It burns me when I see younger officials just leave and then they complain no one helped them out. One of the best ways to learn about officiating is to actually watch veterans work games. You will pick up a lot of little things you would never do by not watching. Also ask questions what took place in the veteran’s games.

Peace