View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Watched a 5A HS game last night. District rivals fighting for first place. As a fan, I generally try to keep a low profile in the stands. Seems like every close play or one that goes against "my" team, there's always someone who wants to evoke my opinion - to prove HIS point. I've done a good job of keeping my mouth shut this season. But last night was my ultimate test.

Mistakes by umpires unfortunately are part of the game. Nobody, especially the umpire, likes them. But bad mechanics affecting a game is inexcusable.

Field umpire, during the pitch, generally showed his interest level by looking in the dugout - and occasionally in the outfield. A shot hit to the left center gap, where is the field umpire supposed to be? NO, not this one. He's watching the ball bounce in the outfield off the fence. Then, WHAM! The runner rounding first plows into the umpire - half way between 1st & 2nd - in the base path - with his back turned still watching the ball. Fortunately for the runner, she was able to gather herself and ended up on 3rd. Could she have scored?? Probably not, but we'll never know.

Fly ball to right field with runners on 1st & 2nd, fielder makes an apparent diving catch. We can only assume because PU meanders from behind the plate and no one - not the coaches, runners, defense, or the fans can tell that a call has been made. Everyone else is watching the play so they had no clue about a call. I only saw a casual out indication from the PU. Runners are in jeopardy and PU is unable to vocalize and sell the call.

PU makes two calls on close plays at the plate from behind home plate! Use those feet, get into position!!

I better stop ranting, but with this game I could overload the board. Thanks for letting me vent.

Generally, when attending a game and asked about a situation, I try to explain from the umpires position - never making a judgement of who is right/wrong. Last night I think my tongue ended up three inches shorter.

How do you handle yourself in similar situations?

[Edited by ntxblue on Mar 28th, 2002 at 02:47 PM]