View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:43pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
through experience there are some that officiate to prove something, position of authority, and like to be the center of attention.
Isn't this exactly why they say you're supposed to ref, in rockyroad's neck of the woods? I remembered this from earlier this year. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
in the mid-90's I went to a "try-out" type of camp. One of the evaluators stood up in front of the group, pointed to several of us and asked each the question "Why do you officiate?" As each of us (and I was one of the ones chosen) gave our answer, he replied with "Bullsh!t. Sit down."

Eventually he went on a little tirade in which he pointed out that we all officiate because it gives us POWER...we don't have that POWER in any other area of our lives, so we fulfill that need by blah, blah, blah...

When he finished, I raised my hand and asked the camp director (and small college assignor) if that was his thinking also. When he said yes, I told him thanks, gathered up my stuff and left...he called me a couple days later, we talked and I told him what I thought of that philosophy...few days later I got a contract in the mail. Weird...to this day, I can't really believe that is why anyone would officiate.