View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Roamin Umpire, I'm not disagreeing that it could end up that we may be able to enforce both, but where do you read anything on the NF website that would indicate that?
Well, the new rules are listed at http://www.nfhs.org/web/2007/04/2007_football_rules_changes.aspx

Obviously, this isn't the exact text that's listed in the rulebook. But there's nothing in what they do say that suggests an enforcement on the play we're talking about, one way or the other...

Quote:
I just think that it fits a multiple foul definition and that we will only be able to enforce one. I don't think a player ever thinks about "hey, they can only enforce one foul on the kick off and that was the one we had on the TD, so I am going to get a free shot at someone on this try!"
... however, my reasoning was basically along the same lines as Bob's. Neither 2-16-2d nor 10-2-3 specifically state that the fouls have to occur during the same down. But if you take the first sentence of 10-2-3 very literally, then once a team has had one penalty enforced for a LBF, they may not have any others enforced, ever. This, of course, is silly. There's no official interpretation because it's been obvious to everyone and there's never been a carry-over option for penalties where we've needed it before. Until we get one, I'm going with what makes the most sense to me: enforce both.

I agree that no player goes into a situation thinking that he gets a free shot... until he sees it happen to his team earlier in the game. Then things might get ugly really fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
I have to agree with you here, I think both get enforced on the kickoff. What if the try in unsuccessful though? Can we have one enforced on the try and the other on the kickoff? Can we enforce the penalties out of order in this situation?
By 8-3-6, if the try is unsuccessful and B fouls, the try is replayed after enforcement.