Thread: Different calls
View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 17, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
Folks, I'd like some opinions on a situation that happened in a game.

R2 and R3, Nobody out. Three person umpire crew. U1 is in the infield while U3 on the 3rd base line. The batter hits a sharp grounder over third, U3 signals fair ball while the PU calls foul visually and verbally but not very loud. The play continues with both runners scoring and the BR ends up on second base. As soon as the play stops, the catcher and the pitcher (and later the manager) argue it was called foul by the PU. The three umpires conferred and decide to let the play stand because the ball really was fair, the plate umpire admitted he anticipated the call (although it was not his call to make).

What would you have done? Let the play stand because you want to make the right call. Or go with the foul call because it could be argued some defensive players stopped playing when they heard the foul call?

J

I know that last year during an MLB game there was a precedent set allowing the call of foul on a similar play to be overturned. I'm not so sure that it was the right thing to do though. I've always been taught that you have to live with the call of "foul" with the exception being a homerun that was initially ruled foul incorrectly.

Tim.