View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD
Background: About two weeks ago team A's pitcher hit a couple of Team B's batters whose manager [complained]... B's coach made a few comments to A's pitcher who offered his own comments in return. B's coach who was in the 3rd base box, turned to his dugout and asked "when is this guy [the pitcher] up again?" Last night, I had the plate with the same teams ... Team A's (previously suspended) player was hit by pitch in 3 consecutive at bats by 3 different pitchers. No other batters on either side were hit by pitch.I didn't think that Team B was intentionally throwing at the batter ...
Hello, Pollyanna.

Quote:
On his third at bat, he was hit by pitch again At that point I issued a warning that the next hit batter (on either side) would result in an ejection of the pitcher and his manager/coach.
About two HBPs too late.

Quote:
Team B's manager, who had previously been suspended for his unhappy interaction with the batter who had just been plunked for the third consecutive time, came rushing out to object to my heavy handed response.
Heavy handed? He and his pitcher should have been dumped. He should have been thanking you.

Quote:
After my warning, no more batters were hit by pitch over the remaining 4 innings.
Q.E.D.

Quote:
I still don't believe any of the pitchers were intentionally throwing at the batter
Still in lah-lah-land are we, Pollyanna?

Quote:
My question: Does it sound like I was heavy handed in issuing a warning to both teams? Also, should both teams have received the warning?
You were not "heavy handed." You were issuing the prescribed penalty for their actions. You were just a little bit too late ... er, make that a lot too late. Knowing the history (which you don't have to admit to the coach), the warnings - yes, to both benches - should have occurred after the first HBP. Ejections after the second HBP. Even granting the benevolence of "benefit of the doubt," all doubt should have been erased by the second HBP.