View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 11:42am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I didn't see "control". It was VERY close. I sometimes conclude as you do that the hand on top the ball pushing it down is the start of a dribble...but not always....just depends on how much "control" I think the player has. It's a pretty fine line.
Back when I was in college, I was asked to be the shot clock operator for the basketball games.

They use 3-man and there was a sitch where B1 reached in, put his hand on the ball, and pushed it to the ground. A1 and B1's backs were to the C who was moving up closer to the division line to see the play better. I reset the clock (and I was smart enough to first look at the display before resetting it). I then reset it again once A1 regained possession. (The whole play was about 15-18 feet from me.)

It was the type of play where B1 was able to get a quick handle on it, but wouldn't have been able to keep it because he was off balance.

Seeing that A1 was closely guarded near the division line, and not theatening the goal, the T (crew chief, now D1 official) blew his whistle and came over to me. He wanted to know why I reset the clock. He knew I am an official and I explained to him what happened, including the value of the pre-reset clock.

He agreed with me that the clock should have been reset (twice in this case). It all happened very quickly and the sitch re-enforced (sp?) to me that the act of pushing the ball to the ground must mean possession.