View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
So an evaluator gets on you and that is a problem? Welcome to the real world of camps. That happens all the time. It happened to me last summer and I got over it. He was one guy and he could not understand a mechanic I was using. I stood there, nodded my head and moved on. I did not rip him to other campers and worked my next game. BTW, all the evaluators were D1 officials at this camp.

Also what did the guy do in the OP anyway? He stepped in on a summer game where it is common for coaches and even fans to sometimes approach the camp directors about the officials or situations involving the situation. Not only are situations kind of common for some interaction with an evaluator and a coach, I have seen evaluators have very heated words with coaches. What did this guy do that we would have to complain about? I did not realize these games have the same protocol as a regular season game?

Peace
Guess I should have been a little more detailed in that section...I thought the point would be apparent. I didn't say I had a problem with being ripped. It has happened before, and unless I die today, will probably happen again for something...can't please everyone. This person obviously didn't know any of us...which is normal at a camp. One would think, that if his goal was help us improve, that he would ask about us. Several times I have had evaluators come up to us before a game and ask how long each of us had been officiating and how much experience we had in 3-person work. Wouldn't you expect officials with virtually no experience to miss rotations.

My feeling was he wasn't concerned with teaching us what we needed to know at that stage of our development...he was just angry we were not doing things he thought were obvious. Nothing is obvious to a newbie. Teach them, don't berate them for being new.

I learned a lot at that camp...just not from him. I also admire his ability but do not respect him as an instructor and feel he really needs to work on his off the floor approach. It didn't help my opinion of him as an instructor to see him badger others publically...and I am sure he is losing sleep over that.