View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Jeff, I can see that you might be right for certain situations, as I think I said. It's gonna depend a lot on who the camp director is, and who the clinician is that you have trouble with, and other variables. For me, abuse is the best way to shut down my learning abilities. So if the camp is being run by my association, or by someone who's working to help the officiating in our area bet better, I'm gonna "tell". It's not just to tattle, but to make the camp better. I'm paying good money, or giving good time, and I'm not gaining anything.
Understand that we are giving opinions here. I am not telling you what to do or what not to do. This is ultimately up to you and each situation. I am just telling you what is likely to be the perception if you do not word your complaint carefully. And unless I knew the tournament director for 20 plus years and went on vacations with them, I would likely pass. I understand that if things do not go your way in a camp that in many aspects of life it is beneficial to say something, but there are times when silence is best if you do not want to alienate yourself from future consideration.

Quote:
I would word it pretty carefully, even so. It would probably be in the form of a "camp evaluation" after camp, and perhaps make it anonymous if I thought it would hurt me politically. The only way I'd go whining right after the incident is if I knew that there was some reason the director would want to know, or if the director specifically asked at some point.
You can word it anyway you like, that does not mean you will not still come off the wrong way or the way you do not want to be perceived. You know how easily things that take place here can be get turned around and misinterpreted.

Quote:
But of course, there could be many situations where this would simply not be appropriate, and furthermore wouldn't be efficacious. I expect that would be most of the time

Regardless of whether I tattled or not, I'd definitely vote with my feet, but not attending that camp again if I couldnt be sure I wouldn't have that eval agian.
Once again I am giving my opinion. Just like anything in life there are people that can take it or leave it. I have attended multiple camps almost every year I have worked basketball and have attended high level D1 camps to the very poorly run camp for HS basketball. I cannot think of a single camp where someone is not watching and deciding things about you. You might not even be aware of this taking place. Just understand you are taking a chance and do not be completely surprised if this does not go over well. Even if you are completely right, you can be completely wrong. Just understand you are taking a risk no matter how you slice it.

Peace