View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I also agree with Dan on this. I would not say anything to the tournament director about any clinician unless I was approached personally. Even then I would be very guarded. You are at a camp to learn, not to tell on the clinicians. Now if you are asked in a survey about the camp and it is anonymous then that might be OK. The bottom line is the tournament director hired the people for a reason. If you are at a camp to learn and people are making decisions about you based on the camp, I would stay away from that kind of interaction. Even if you do not like it I feel it would not be right to complain. Work your games, listen to the clinician and move on.

Peace
Jeff, I can see that you might be right for certain situations, as I think I said. It's gonna depend a lot on who the camp director is, and who the clinician is that you have trouble with, and other variables. For me, abuse is the best way to shut down my learning abilities. So if the camp is being run by my association, or by someone who's working to help the officiating in our area bet better, I'm gonna "tell". It's not just to tattle, but to make the camp better. I'm paying good money, or giving good time, and I'm not gaining anything.

I would word it pretty carefully, even so. It would probably be in the form of a "camp evaluation" after camp, and perhaps make it anonymous if I thought it would hurt me politically. The only way I'd go whining right after the incident is if I knew that there was some reason the director would want to know, or if the director specifically asked at some point.

But of course, there could be many situations where this would simply not be appropriate, and furthermore wouldn't be efficacious. I expect that would be most of the time

Regardless of whether I tattled or not, I'd definitely vote with my feet, but not attending that camp again if I couldnt be sure I wouldn't have that eval agian.