View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 01:02am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Mark, Its rare to see eye glasses and hearing aids. If they have eyeglasses, they are durable. I wouldn't stop play if a players eyeglasses or hearing aid was on the floor. As far as the danger of another player getting injured, not much different than a player down on the floor during rebounding. As i have said, during a dead ball, i will allow tieing of shoes, tuck shirts in, clean glasses, put in contacts, fix the hair tie, etc.

Are you kidding: "Its rare to see eye glasses"

At least three or four times a year (roughly 350 games per every twelve months), I have a situation where a player has his/her glasses come off or a lense gets popped out of the frame.

And to withhold the ball from play to allow a player to tie shoelaces, tuck shirts into shorts, clean glasses or fix a hair tie is flat out against the rules. If a player wants to do that they can do it anytime he/she desires, if the player wants the game to stop for that purpose, the player had better be prepared to request a timeout. Replacing a contact is another matter because it is covered by rule.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio