View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by refprof
When I run into him at my next camp in July, I will probably pull him over and thank him for his lesson, but critique him on his methods.
I strongly recommend not doing this. His methods do sound flawed, but I think a better venue for that discussion would be the camp director, after you can process your anger. This guy doesn't sound like he'd be a good camper -- willing to listen and learn from anyone. If you (an underling in his mind) try to talk to him about his work, he'll just treat you worse next time. At least, I'd guess this to be the case.

The approach to the camp director is to say, "I think I could have learned more, and the others would have too, if he'd been less confrontational and less accusatory in his approach. I am frankly considering not coming to this camp again if he continues to be a clinician. I just don't learn well in this environment."

If you can give this feedback in a business-like manner without a lot of heat, I think the camp director might seriously consider it. Unless he's the one that likes things that way, as some do. In which case, your best approach, for your own good, would be to simply not go back. Abuse is not a valid teaching technique.