View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
I disagree -and I have had a fight break out on my court that seemd to come out of nowhere. but upon reviewing the tape there were obvious signs of it - the little chips on people going through the lane - the chicken wings in the post - a little push here or a shove there - that if addressed verbally or with a whistle could have kept things in line.
Granted there may be that immediate blow up from one spectacular incident that just happened which is the exception not the rule.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda is great, but there's a big difference between being in the game and watching it on tape afterwards. Once you know that a fight occurred, you look at everything that came prior in a different light.

Yes, a more experienced official may notice what's going on and may address it, but that's no guarantee that a fight still won't break out. If it did, then you would never see a fight in a major conference D-I or NBA game.

Quote:
But as an observer told me this year and I believe it was from another NBA official at Joe Derosa's Camp "If a fight Breaks out on your court it is your fault".
With all due respect to this NBA official, that's total bull. Unless I throw a punch, I'm not at fault for a fight, EVEN IF the warning signs are crystal clear and I ignore them.

Quote:
When the film gets to the assignor and the conference people who and what are they going to be looking at - the way the officials handled the game what could they have done to prevent this.
They SHOULD be looking at how my crew handled the fight. If my crew does that well, but the conference wants to fire us because a fight happened, I'd willingly resign.