View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

JR, it's quite possible that today the mechanic differences between IAABO and the FED are minuscule and might seem redundant to those outside of IAABO land.

However I conjecture that is was not always this way. I believe that IAABO as an organization of some sort has been around for some time, I believe 1923 or so. It's primary goal is to establish consistency from area to area as it relates to basketball mechanics. Most of us can agree that is a good thing.

We've all talked about from time to time how "back in the day" things were a crap shoot mechanically. I doubt that the FED was always so organized when it came to officials mechanics, however in this day and age with technology and information being instantaneous has made it much easier for the FED to standardize "their" mechanics and get that standardization out to local official's associations and as such another organization that would try to start up today to duplicate what IAABO is and does wouldn't make any sense.

However, IAABO's historical standing in the officiating community allows it to continue to be an effective educational element in today's officiating world.