View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Apparently I don't have all the tools in my bag that I need.
Which has me thinking: What do you think it takes to successfully carry a significantly weaker partner, especially in an ugly game?
You can only do what you can do; offer help as far as coverage; philosophy; and management during a pre-game or at dead ball periods of the game.
Pretty early on you should find out if there is something to work with or if you just are going to tough it out. Then the best you can do is find some middle ground of trying to not let the game get out of hand and completely taking over the game. When it is ugly well it is ugly and all you can do is manage it.

Having been through a couple of camps already I have seen this several times this summer. I try to offer the "R" mentality with my partners and maintain both my composure and my primaries. I protect my partners integrity and use my communication and managment skills to try not to let it get out of hand.

In one particularly ugly contentset when it was clear that one of my partners where out of his league our observer told me afterward that he gave up on that ref and was watching what the other two did to manage the game with this weak partner. While we did have to whack both a player and a coach because of this guys calls we were able to cover a lot of what he did through managment and talking with both players and coaches.
Because of those "T's" almost all of the reaming when his way at the end of the game.
I think the only thing you can do is work on your managment skills in these sithuations.