Thread: hotbox
View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 09, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Runner is caught between 2nd and 3rd. F6 is running him back towards 2nd and fakes a throw, then throws it even though he's running right behind the runner. Because of the faked throw, the runners turns to head toward 3rd and runs right into F6. Of course he expected to be awarded 3rd but I ruled him out once they tagged him as I felt the play happened so quick, there was nowhere for F6 to go. Was I right or wrong?
Don't care if there was nowhere for F6 to go, that is his problem.

I had this call at the Hooters in '05 in the Women's Open championship game. Between 3B & H, F5 ran the runner toward home, threw the ball to the catcher and just stood there. R makes u-turn and F6 is standing directly in front of her. R turns right (arm goes out), turns left and dives into 3B, but not before being tagged out. I awarded the runner 3B. The defense (Junkyard Dawgs from GA, in the 3B dugout, of course) went crazy. I told them I would speak to one coach and he gave nearly the exact reason you had in your game. I told him it was an easy call. I asked him if he saw the runner go around F5. He said yes. I asked if she had the ball. He said no, but she had just thrown it. I said that is correct and, by rule, is obstruction. The Armed Forces went on to win that game and guess who was to blame?

As Steve noted, there are not exceptions, either the fielder has possession of the ball or not.