Thread: Block/Charge?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 12:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
So, when viewing the video, would you say those are real officials are fake officials? When viewing the video and considering the officials position in the play, do you agree with the call? Remember, they don't have the benefit of replay of this play. Faced with this outcome, do you think the official guess at the call?

When I look at this play, 2 person. I see block. The same call that the official in the video made. Maybe I'm not helping but I'm just being real. 9 times out of ten, officials are coming out of this call with a block. THE VIDEO DON'T LIE!!! Hey, it's the wrong call but we needed replay to verify. When working in the games we don't have the benefit of replay. So you better get in position to make the call, and if not, and you are focred to make the call. What do you call? I gonna call an offensive foul and I'm not sure! I don't think so! I'm going to call a defensive foul and not be sure! What are you gonna call? Are you gonna go with a no call here? You tell me, what are you gonna call here?
When I saw the video live, I thought PC foul all the way. Why did I come to that conclusion? I have been trained to watch the referee the defense so that plays like this will not just blow up in your face. If you have been doing that these calls can be very easy to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
My position is simply, if you are not sure, call the obivous. It looked like a block from where I'm standing. Next time, don't force me to call it. God help us if we're going to start using replay after every call we make. The replay is great to show this is really an offensive foul, but it is also equally bad to show that we made a mistake here. If this is the direction we are heading, our profession is going to take a hell of a beating for the days to come. We're simply not going to get every call right. My position on this call is it was a good call. I support the officials here because of their position on the court and the defense force their hands. My position is I would rather you call a block here than a no-call, this is not incidental contact. Faced with those odds, it is better for the defense to go for the ball in this scenario.

Now, don't shoot the messenger. Remember, we live in America and it's okay to have a different opinion, even if that opinion goes against everyone else. I don't agree with the war either.
First of all this is not about you being a messenger. You keep saying this stupid line and it has nothing to do with anything. You are not sending a message. You are given an opinion that is based on lunacy. Secondly this is not an "obvious foul." I have admitted it is one of those either/or fouls where some would call this one way and another group would call this play another way. While keeping this in mind, you will not get a pass from me or others when you miss this call. I do not give my self a pass and I will not give others as you move up the ranks. For an official that claims he knows more than just a rec. official, then I would expect more from you (not really but let us dream for a moment). If you really are as good as you say you are you should do a lot better than just calling what is safe. Even when you call things that are save you will make the "obviously" wrong call. This call is not obvious, but it was close to being that way.

Also for the record I do not see anything wrong for who made this call. The New L has likely a cleaner look at this play while the New T is looking through the back of the players and only sees the contact. The New T can see space and see when contact occurred.

Peace