Thread: Block/Charge?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 11:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sorry, JMO, but real officials will know what to look for, will know the correct rule, and will also know how to apply those rules to make the right call. The Old Schools of the world will guess. Real officials won't.

Sorry, that be the way it is.
So, when viewing the video, would you say those are real officials are fake officials? When viewing the video and considering the officials position in the play, do you agree with the call? Remember, they don't have the benefit of replay of this play. Faced with this outcome, do you think the official guess at the call?

When I look at this play, 2 person. I see block. The same call that the official in the video made. Maybe I'm not helping but I'm just being real. 9 times out of ten, officials are coming out of this call with a block. THE VIDEO DON'T LIE!!! Hey, it's the wrong call but we needed replay to verify. When working in the games we don't have the benefit of replay. So you better get in position to make the call, and if not, and you are focred to make the call. What do you call? I gonna call an offensive foul and I'm not sure! I don't think so! I'm going to call a defensive foul and not be sure! What are you gonna call? Are you gonna go with a no call here? You tell me, what are you gonna call here?

My position is simply, if you are not sure, call the obivous. It looked like a block from where I'm standing. Next time, don't force me to call it. God help us if we're going to start using replay after every call we make. The replay is great to show this is really an offensive foul, but it is also equally bad to show that we made a mistake here. If this is the direction we are heading, our profession is going to take a hell of a beating for the days to come. We're simply not going to get every call right. My position on this call is it was a good call. I support the officials here because of their position on the court and the defense force their hands. My position is I would rather you call a block here than a no-call, this is not incidental contact. Faced with those odds, it is better for the defense to go for the ball in this scenario.

Now, don't shoot the messenger. Remember, we live in America and it's okay to have a different opinion, even if that opinion goes against everyone else. I don't agree with the war either.