View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 10:10am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Mark, I never looked at an untied shoe as a safty issue. And i agree stopping the game is unfair to the opponent. However, if the game is already stopped then i think we should allow the player to tie the shoe. Do we hold up the game to instruct a player to tuck in a shirt?

A player who is not wearing his uniform correctly and an untied shoe are not even apples and oranges.

A player, who is not wearing his/her uniform correctly, is to be placed at the first stopped clock dead ball situation. I never hold up the game to instruct a player to wear his uniform correctly. If I have made a decision to tell a player to wear his uniform correctly, I do it without delaying the ball being put into play, and if the player has to run down the court trying to tuck his shirt into his shorts while trying to play basketball that is his problem.

Officials have to stop making excuses for not following the rules or for players not following the rules. If an official thinks that he should withhold the ball from play so that a player can adjust his uniform then that player should be replaced per the uniform rule.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio