Thread: Nerves Question
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Other than getting to the game on time I honestly do absolutely nothing special. At this point I just try to get to games an hour early for a real game and during the summer maybe a half hour. I watch games in front of me if there are any and just relax so I do not feel rushed. During the real season I will have an extensive pre-game and stretch, but that is so routine it is nothing special. Summer ball has even less preparation and hardly a pre-game at all because the goal is a lot different. We are not using real mechanics and we are not applying real rules. We are just trying to keep the game going and not have a major incident.

I have also worked AYBT in the past. These are by far not "real games." These games are worked by officials that range from the guys that are working for the money only, to the newer official like yourself and the official that is. So from an official's standpoint these games are going to be rather laid back and you will not be working regular mechanics or applying all the regular rules. You likely will be working in a place where courts are right next to each other and games will be designed to move. I would just tell you to not get so excited over these games as if you will have a similar experience when the season starts in the fall and in the winter. The only thing that will be similar to the real season is the fact the kids will be playing basketball, but most of the rules and even situations will be very different.

Peace