View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I feel that I have finally arrived as an Umpire........

This Thursday night in my first game ........

I held my pregame with both coaches and was ready to get started when the Home coach comes out and drops a ball right on the foul side of the 3rd base line and asks......."if my 3rd baseman picks up a batted ball right here........what's your call going to be?"

I told him........."when it happens.......I'll make the proper call coach".........

I knew he was trying to get me to admit a blue in a previous game had blown a call...........(our assignor had called me about a rookie who had called a fair ball based on the position of the player (I was scheduled to call with this umpire this weekend) and our assignor wanted me to go over some things with this blue.........

He almost demanded that I make the call........

I told the coach that there were to many what ifs to be considered.........and that I would have had to have been there to make that call..........

He was none to pleased with me.........

Two/Three years ago..........I would have told him........."Foul Ball".......

I have learned.............that coaches always have ulterior motives to questions.........and have learned to tell them...........

"Gee coach......I don't know.........I would have had to be there"...........grin

Joel