View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The monkey on the back

So far, five games of summer ball, and 284 sore muscles.

Sunday, two boys' varsity games, which are really jv of course. Pretty fast, and some good plays, but lots of sloppy stuff. All in all, quite uneventful.

Monday, three girls' games, one jv and two varsity. The jv was the best of the three, with quite a lot of talent, actually. First varsity game was simply awful -- score was 10-2 at the half, all the points being scored in the first four minutes of the half. Yuck. Second game was the loser of the first game against the "home" team, and we were surprised how much better the losers played, even though it appeared that this "home" team was better. I'm still not sure what happened.

Some funny things -- boys -- a player lined up incorrectly for a free throw. My partner stepped in and said, "You need to step out." kid says, "Why?" All the other kids point to the player right next to him who was the same team (and the same team as the shooter). Kid still looks mystified, but walks out near the division line. Finally, out there, the light dawns. Maybe you had to be there, but it was funny at the time.

girls -- in that middle game, one of the teams had a play called, "Slop". My partner says, "That's all they've run so far the whole game!"

But the funniest thing was the way I was walking this morning when I first got up. I really, really needed to get to the bathroom (good hydration the night before) and it really, really hurt. Also, the muffled snickers from my husband's side of the bed really, really hurt my feelings!

Oh, and for what it's worth, not yet a single "over the back" holler from a coach, the stands, or a player. I wonder if that's a record.