View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
A1 has ball for a throw-in after a made basket. She gets ready to throw the ball in when a defender jumps the throwing lane in front of A2. A1 redirects her pass down the endline and the ball remains OOB. She retrieves the ball and completes the throw-in within the 5 seconds. Did she violate?? After coming down the court I told myself that she violated because she didn't throw the pass directly onto the court. But then I started to think that she can pass the ball OOB to a teammate after a made basket, the ball can slip out of her hands and remain OOB and she retrieve and complete the throw in, so did she really commit a violation? I don't have a rulebook at my disposal, and this was Girls 16U FED rules. Thanks in advance for any input and clarification.
There has been some debate about this play on this forum before. JR and I can see no reason why the play is not perfectly legal under NFHS rules. However, there is an NCAA A.R. which states that this is a violation.

from NCAA BR-133:

A.R. 155.
After a score by Team B, A1 has disposal of the ball for a throw-in. A1 starts a throw-in to A2 but notices that A2 is defensively covered. While losing his/her balance, A1 passes the ball along the endline. A1’s forward momentum carries him/her onto the playing court. A1 leaves the playing court, returns out-of-bounds and recovers the ball along the endline. Is this legal? RULING: No. A1 failed to pass the ball directly into the playing court, nor did A1 pass the ball along the endline to a teammate. When A1 touches the ball, he/she has violated the throw-in provisions.