View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHat Ref
Now I know this is a baseball forum, and I do umpire baseball, but in watching the NCAA softball tournament this weekend, especially the umpires, has anybody noticed that they are like robots on the field. What I mean by that, is they have no style like baseball umpires. They are mechanical in their calls. Strike calls are right arm straight up no style, and on bang bang plays same mechanic straight up with the right arm. Baseball umpires have their own style in calling strikes, and at least they sell the call on bang bang plays and make it look good.
I am going to make an assumption (could be a mistake as with all assumptions) but getting high level softball games is similar to high level baseball games.

Politics are most likely involved and also you have to umpire "THEIR" way if you want to get the BIG game.

I do not think they are acting "robotic" because they want to be as it stands to reason that each umpire has their own "punch out" mechanic, banger mechanics etc., however, the umpires if they want to get the BIG game better umpire the way their association wants and that's what we have here.

Pete Booth