View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:20pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Oh, my ! That's a narrow plank on which to walk, ...not much room to roam.

So everyone involved noticed the problem, yet the guy that was correct was punished. But, then again, he didn't have to go nuts, did he?

The teams pay for the camp, but do they realize there may be officiating problems with the campers? Will they pay again next year ? Will they castigate the camp ?
Were the camping officials better off having been humiliated ? Why couldn't a clinician step in (as an experienced partner could) and brought the crew together to make it right, and then rehash it at a break ?

I dunno, trial by fire is certainly a way to learn, but a few words from a clinician and everyone is happy.

Rocky, I certainly am not judging your part as an observer, but I wonder if a slightly modified philosophy may be more comfortable for the participants.

It seems the thought may be to eliminate officials, rather than to be creating officials. Although, that can work, too !
The teams knew that it was a training ground for officials...and these were officials who certainly knew better. They were all three Varsity level officials from their various associations, and those were the people we were told not to step in on. In essence, this was a "certification" type camp - these were people trying to prove that they were qualified to work post-season tournaments. Needless to say, they didn't prove that...