View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:11pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Worked as a clinician at a HS camp this weekend...had a play where A2 steals ball and is 6-7 feet in front of everyone as he lays it in. Second wave of guys coming down court - B3 shoves A3 to the floor to get into rebounding position in case the rebound misses. Center official calls the pushing foul, counts the basket, and then proceeds to award the shooter one free throw! As clinicians, we were not supposed to insert ourselves into the game, so I just watched to see what would happen...they shoot the one shot, Coach B going nuts, T coach B, shoot two more free throws...yikes! Conversation after the game...BOTH partners admitted that they KNEW that C was wrong, but they said nothing because they didn't want anyone to know they had blown it...that worked well for them...there was some butt-chewing after that little episode.
Oh, my ! That's a narrow plank on which to walk, ...not much room to roam.

So everyone involved noticed the problem, yet the guy that was correct was punished. But, then again, he didn't have to go nuts, did he?

The teams pay for the camp, but do they realize there may be officiating problems with the campers? Will they pay again next year ? Will they castigate the camp ?
Were the camping officials better off having been humiliated ? Why couldn't a clinician step in (as an experienced partner could) and brought the crew together to make it right, and then rehash it at a break ?

I dunno, trial by fire is certainly a way to learn, but a few words from a clinician and everyone is happy.

Rocky, I certainly am not judging your part as an observer, but I wonder if a slightly modified philosophy may be more comfortable for the participants.

It seems the thought may be to eliminate officials, rather than to be creating officials. Although, that can work, too !