View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 12:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I kind of liked it. I liked the grenade. I also liked the drawing of the enlarged home plate in the dirt. How many games will this guy be suspended? Would it have been any longer if the resin bag "grenade" had actually hit the ump?

Anyway, Yanks blew 3 separate leads yesterday. What a shame. The real shame is Mientkiewicz. I hope he's not hurt too bad. He's never been a great player, but he played an important role for the Sox in '04 and did it without complaining about his playing time. I thought Lowell's shoulder block on Cano was unnecessary and probably out of line. If Cano hadn't made the play at first, I think the out probably would've been awarded anyway.

But the collision with Mientkiewicz just seemed to be bad luck. He had to reach back in an unusual position to field the throw and it took him right into Lowell's path. I hope the concussion doesnt have any lingering effects.
20 minutes? That is a heckuva long time to put up with a tirade like that. I guess it depends on what direction the umps are getting from their league on ejections like that, but I'd be thinking of finding the local cops after a few minutes and saying "Get this dickhead outa here".

The play by Lowell at 1B was strictly an accident. Mientkiewicz initiated the contact imo trying to make the play. The one at 2B on Cano was really no different than A-Rod's elbow last week on the dp. The Yanks were full value again for their loss. I got home just in time to see them implode. Three walks, 2 errors by Jeter, nobody covers third on a fly ball and Abreau got wall-shy....all in one inning.

I see where they've got Damon taking fielding practice at 1B now, with the idea of making him a DH/1B. That's something that they shoulda done a long time ago imo. He just can't physically handle an outfield spot anymore. Iirc, one of our most distinguished posters (me) suggested that when we got him. With any luck, Giambi will be out for the year too.