View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Hey...hey...hey...I'm late (nobody wants to hear that song...especially sung by their girlfriend), but I'm not done with this thread yet. We can play name that tune later.

I was PU and read this as a scoring play as soon as I saw R1 never slow down at 2B and shift it into 4th gear, so I stayed at home (unfortunately I didn't communicate this to my partner). R1 hit 3B and got 1/3 of the way home, then put on the breaks and went back to 3B. Cutoff man throws to 3B, but R1 is back and beats the tag by 1-2 seconds. But there is a tag and a safe mechanic is appropriate. I'm back home on 3BLX disappointed that he held up, my partner is in working area/3B side of the mound. My partner points at me and then points at the base, gesturing that that call is mine. Because no one else is making tha call, I make a half-hearted safe sign.

In between inning he have a brief discussion (to be continued after the game)about the coverage. He says that I should have been down at 3B for that play. I told him that I read that as a scoring play all the way. He said that I should have come down 3BL and then bust *** for home if he went. The kid was flying...if I had gotten half way down the line, he'd of been at 3B and passing me a second later while I scrambled to get home and I'd be in no position to make a call at home (if he didn't stop).

I think that I had a good read on the play and though I didn't communicate it, I think that I was in the right place. He insists that I should have been down 3BL to make that call at 3B.

So who has the right to think that their partner left them hanging?