View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
In NF, rule 6-2-4 says "such touching is ignored if it is caused by K muffing the ball into R," thus we would have PSK.

In NCAA rule 6-3-4 says ""an inbounds player touched by the ball batted by an opponent is not deemed to have touched the ball," and AR 6-3-4-III discusses a "bat" but not a muff. Thus, it appears this is one of the differences between NF and NCAA. I think muffing the ball into another player should not be considered touching by R, but it appears it is in NCAA.

TXMike, would you give the benefit of the doubt to it being a "bat" instead of a "muff" so PSK would still be in effect, since the rule is to not give an advantage to the kicking team and allowing them a new set of downs when they kicked the ball? I'm not saying if it was an obvious muff, but one that could possibly considered a bat. Mike, do you think that a muff maybe would be a good addition to the NCAA rule?
I do not want to make a cheap call on a bat because that could bring with it yet another flag. A muff is a muff and a bat is a bat. It defintiely needs to be a bat to be called a bat. In principle I do not think B should be held responsible for being hit by a ball that was already muffed by A. Problem is that if A muffs and then B tries to play the ball but muffs do we exempt that muff also? It would have to be narrowly defined someway, perhaps another definition of what touching is.