View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 02, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
In NCAA rule 6-3-4 says ""an inbounds player touched by the ball batted by an opponent is not deemed to have touched the ball," and AR 6-3-4-III discusses a "bat" but not a muff. Thus, it appears this is one of the differences between NF and NCAA. I think muffing the ball into another player should not be considered touching by R, but it appears it is in NCAA.

This point is what caused so much discussion the other day at our study group that I thought I'd post the question here. As I read it, the "forced touching is no touching" only applies to 1) B being blocked into the ball by A and 2) B being hit by a ball batted by A. Nowhere does it state anything about a muff. But like MJT was alluding to, some of our guys felt that the spirit of the rules should include a muff for the same reasons as a bat or being blocked, however they agreed that it simply wasn't in the rules.
Thus, A has legal possession at the end of the down if the penalty is accepted because in doing so, the illegal touching is ignored. Therefore, we can't have PSK enforcement (10-2-2-e, Exc. 3-e)

So we can either have a 15 yard penalty enforced from the PS with an auto 1st down, or if A declines then B gets the ball 1/10 at the spot of illegal touching at the B-33

Last edited by DJ_NV; Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 11:03am.