Thread: Rating Systems?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniwek8
Hello everyone, I searched for this topic on the board as I was so steamed and I was glad to find that others feel similar............I had to vent somehow....the following email was sent to the IHSA...I feel a little better after reading your posts.......I am seriously thinking about not renewing my licenses in 4 sports with the IHSA because of this "berating" system. I thought I would share my letter and appreciate everyones insight into this topic.......I am finding blind criticism hardly constructive............

Hello Judy,

Once again....it is I (Official X).....I just reviewed my ratings and once again noticed that someone went in and requested improvement in certain areas....which...as I take it....criticism with no constructive purpose.....the contrusctive part of it would be to point out what it is that was done wrong as alleged by this other official....what I don't like about this is the whole annonymity.....if someone is willing to take the time to go to the computer and imput their opinion of my officiating....then why have they not confronted me at the time of the incident....after the game? I obviously don't agree with this.....I went for promotion this year and made it....but...if you were to look at my ratings....it hardly reflects that I deserve it.....in the previous four seasons....this person...or any other official did not care to rate myself in area of needed improvements...now all of a sudden...in my fifth season, someone has decided to share their opinions of my officiating through the website and not with me personally. I just don't get how this is a useful tool. Does it make any sense to yourself or to Mr. Gannaway? I am sending this to you as I don't have Mr. Gannaways e-mail address handy and your email was at the top of the screen conveniently...if you don't mind...could you share my concerns with him? My whole point is this is hardly usefull information and I find it more discouraging than encouraging...as a fairly new official...I would like to find reasons to continue officiating...if the purpose of this rating system is to weed out officials...then it is doing it's job...as I don't want to continue if this is what I will be subject to. I'd really like to know who it is that is sending their criticism my way and to know what exactly it is that I have done wrong.....I take most offense to the areas of Attitude and Professionalism and the Reaction to Pressure....I can honestly say that I disagree with either of these criticisms...I am my harshest crittic...and I cannot even think of any incidents where this criticism was applicable.......just as I should be held accountable for my actions as an official, I think that those criticizing my performance should held accountable for their criticisms....what was it....when....why was i not approached at the time...after the game......this system....once again......is a farce................I can take criticism when I know who it is coming from........but for someone to hide behind what you have currently set up......is ridiculous....I hope you seriously reconsider or at the very least.....give me a reason why it is necessary to have it the way that it is currently.....
First of all the "need to improvement" section can only be filled in by Certified Official. Coaches cannot even evaluate your umpiring. Secondly, these marks mean absolutely nothing. They only hold value when you give them value. The IHSA does not consider them from all accounts and they do not affect your over all rating. Really, you should not even care. Look at it as a footnote and move on.

Also Judy is not a decision maker in the official's department. She just follows what the policies the IHSA Official's Department has set in place. It is much better to talk to Dave Gannaway personally or to someone on the Official's Advisory Committee that can address this with actual change. You are not the first one to complain about this and nothing has changed. Just be aware for people have talked about this for years at the Officials Conference Delegate's meeting for a few years and the system is likely to stay.

Peace