Thread: Rating Systems?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
A question for those of you who do HS baseball in states where the coaches rate you.

In the state I work in, this year they started a new rating system where coaches rate your work. They also have catagories where you supposedly "need improvement". These ratings are a joke. The catagory ratings are even more of a joke.
My HS rating system is also a joke. I have been told that coaches have input except we do not see this input. We get a letter in the mail that ranks each official by a numerical number. That's all we get. We do not know how that number was arrived at etc. It's simply a number.

Personally I did not get HS certified to get the BIG game(s) at the end of the HS year. I got HS certified so that I could umpire in the spring (other leagues than HS) , summer and fall because the contracts call for officials to be HS certified.

You can make a nice "piece of change" umpiring all summer long. You could umpire seven nights straight if your schedule permits. Also, every Saturday / Sunday being at the minimum 2 games a day sometimes 3.

It might be a cop-out answer etc. but I do not put any stock into the rating system. There's politics involved, the "good ole boy networK etc. The point is if you want to umpire in the summer / fall then it's well worth it to get HS certified regardless of the rating system.

Pete Booth