View Single Post
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Goaltending -- First, in order for there to be a violation, the ball has to have some chance of going into the basket. Furthermore, the ball has to be on it's downward flight when it is contacted.
So far, so good.

Quote:
It is goaltending to block the ball against the backboard regardless of where the ball is in its flight, unless it is past the possibility of entering the basket
Say it with me - "the backboard has nothing to do with GT." Don't overcomplicate GT - stick to the basics of downward flight, chance of going in and outside the cylinder.

Quote:
GT could be either offensive or defensive, but is most likely to be defensive. (Ignoring the free throw stuff).
Probably not the best mindset to get yourself into - while rare, you don't want to miss an offensive GT because you were focusing just on the defense.

Quote:
Basket Interference -- The ball must be on the rim, in the basket or in the cylinder above the rim. If the call is for touching the basket, the ball must be on the rim or in the net. If for touching the ball, it must be in the net, on the rim, or in the cylinder. BI can be either offensive or defensive.
You can also have BI for reaching through the basket (from below) and contacting the ball when the ball is outside of the cylinder.

Quote:
There's something about pulling the rim down and it contacts the ball, but I don't have the hang of that yet.
If the ring has been pulled down, and contacts the ball before it returns back to its original position, you have BI.

Quote:
Slapping the backboard is never BI or GT, even if the rim vibrates.

The ball becomes dead when the violation is committed. If the violation is committed by the defense, points are awarded, either 2 or 3 depending on where the shot was taken from. If offensive, the ball is given to the other team at the point nearest to where the violation was committed.

Okay, I"m done. Help me fill in the gaps.
All good stuff at the end. I would just add that on a throw-in, you can have BI, but you can't have GT. Want to take a crack as to why that is?