View Single Post
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I know this is risky, but...

The combination of the recent GT/BI thread and my upcoming camp with boys' games led me to spend the last couple days studying the rule and case books. Now I'm gonna give a closed book overview as a sort of test for myself. If this gets too weird, I'll just close the whole thread, but I"m hoping something good might come out of this.

Goaltending -- First, in order for there to be a violation, the ball has to have some chance of going into the basket. Furthermore, the ball has to be on it's downward flight when it is contacted. It is goaltending to block the ball against the backboard regardless of where the ball is in its flight, unless it is past the possibility of entering the basket GT could be either offensive or defensive, but is most likely to be defensive. (Ignoring the free throw stuff).

Basket Interference -- The ball must be on the rim, in the basket or in the cylinder above the rim. If the call is for touching the basket, the ball must be on the rim or in the net. If for touching the ball, it must be in the net, on the rim, or in the cylinder. BI can be either offensive or defensive.

There's something about pulling the rim down and it contacts the ball, but I don't have the hang of that yet.

Slapping the backboard is never BI or GT, even if the rim vibrates.

The ball becomes dead when the violation is committed. If the violation is committed by the defense, points are awarded, either 2 or 3 depending on where the shot was taken from. If offensive, the ball is given to the other team at the point nearest to where the violation was committed.

Okay, I"m done. Help me fill in the gaps.

Last edited by rainmaker; Thu May 31, 2007 at 08:33am.