View Single Post
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I try not to compare things to USSSA anymore. When I used to call U-trip 12? years ago (back when it was still United States Slo-Pitch Softball Association), it used to be very similar to ASA. The wording was different in the rules, but the effects of the rules were relatively identical with some minor exceptions. Now that they've expanded to cover just about every sport short of curling, they've also let a lot of things go in their softball rules. From all reports I've heard, it looks more like a circus act than a ball game.

In my humble opinion, if you hear someone starting to compare USSSA to ASA, take it with a grain of salt.

Sorry if this bugs any USSSA umps out there (though I haven't seen that alphabet soup in anyone's signature here as of yet), but that's just what I'm hearing both from other umps, players and coaches.

I really don't know your sources, but I would venture to say that they, and you, are sadly misinformed. USSSA FP has really grown over the past half dozen years or so, and its rules are very closely in line with those of NFHS. Around here, some of the most competetive teams are playing USSSA tournaments. It resembles nothing like "a circus." Oh, and not all umpires include the groups they work in their signatures. Some just place them in their profiles.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.