View Single Post
Old Sun May 27, 2007, 05:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
What our legal establishment needs is a loser pay system. The losing party should be required to pay all of the legal expenses for the winning party. This would unclog our courts of a lot of these ridiculous lawsuits and reduce our insurance premiums.
First of all in many cases the loser does pay legal fees of the winning side based on what the lawsuit is about. If you are suggesting that only a lawsuit that is thrown out should have the person that brought the lawsuit that is not likely going to happen either. For one lawsuits are so that the average person without a lot of money can bring a case. Many times it is not about the money.

Also in a bigger picture, I realize that everyone wants to jump down the throats of this father. Unless have lost a child you do not know the grief that might entail. Just because he brings a lawsuit does not mean all of them would not be thrown out. He might have a better case against the bar owner than the other parties he is suing. There is case law that suggests that the bar can be held responsible for these kinds of things when they over serve customers and people are hurt in the process. I think the family is grief stricken and they want someone to blame. I do not entirely blame them for doing something, but it might be misdirected. I also do not know why anyone really cares in the end it this one case is not going to change the legal system that drastically.

Peace