View Single Post
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I understand what you are trying to do here, and I agree that the message was sent to the player that throwing a helmet is unacceptable, but what are you going to say to the opposing coach when he comes and says, "I thought throwing the helmet was an ejection?"
It's never happened but I think my reaction would probably be something like, "It's up to each umpire what warrants an ejection and I don't see the necessity in this situation."

I look at some of the "discussions" that takes place at Major league level and there is no way I would put up with the language some of those guys put up with.

Personally, I never swear and don't tolerate it in any game that I officiate. If I hear someone swear (and isn't directed at me) both benches are warned and that ends it. If a coach comes out to discuss something and swear, if they haven't already been warned they get one, very clear warning that their language is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. If the swear is directed at me or at a call then I eject immediately.

Each umpire is different and it is up to the coaches to live within those limits.