View Single Post
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

MJT,

Ok, after reading 10-3-1-c, I'll buy that. But only because there was a fumble behind the NZ, correct? Because of the fumble behind the NZ, then the preceding run after the catch of the legal forward pass gets wrapped up into the original loose-ball play.

However--and please correct me if I'm wrong--had there not been a fumble and the runner was tackled behind the NZ after circling back, then we would enforce the penalty from where he was downed, which is the end of the run. In this case, there would be loose-ball play from the snap til the catch, then the run after the catch to the end of the down would be a running play. This scenario is different from NCAA in that the BS for a running play the ends behind the NZ is the PS, however it's just a running play with the tackle as the EOR.

In short, for NF, it's the fumble behind the NZ that wraps this action all up into the original loose-ball play.

Also, this again is why you never bag a fumble behind the NZ before a COP as that spot will never mean anything (even with an IW, if it's blown while the ball is behind the LOS before a COP, Team A will choose to replay the down rather than lose yardage.) Had I thought about this longer, it would've pointed me toward loose-ball play.

this is exactly why I posted the thread. Thanks again