View Single Post
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

A fun moment for everyone

I enjoyed this and wanted to share it. 13-14 year boys... semi-travel teams.. each town puts together a few teams... not premier talent, but some of the teams are pretty good. I used to coach in this league. There are always a few stacked teams.

Blowout from the start. Bottom of 5th. Visitors leading by about 20 runs. Big kids against little kids. Very big & fast pitcher facing the littlest 13-year-old I have ever seen. 2 outs. The game will soon be (mercifully) over. The little guy fearlessly lays down a good bunt on a fast ball. Catcher makes a bad throw. This kid is on his way to 3rd base when the right fielder makes and off-line throw. I'm PU and I see the play unfolding. Kid rounds third and the 3rd baseman gets the ball on maybe one bounce. I'm thinking uh-oh, this will be close. Perfect throw... perfect slide... the tag is late by a whisker. I signal "SAFE!!... SAFE!!" as if it was the deciding run in the world series. It was so cool to see the huge grin on this kid's face. Everyone was cheering. (Probably both teams) It was one of those moments I'll never forget. A ten-foot "home run" Well.. maybe a couple errors, but who's counting.