Thread: Lottery Justice
View Single Post
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Sam Bowie

I know this was a long time ago, but this source says he missed two seasons and I have read and heard that he missed a lot of other time to constant leg injuries. So I am not sure what I said that was not true? Oh well it does not make that much difference to me. I just remember that Bowie had many health problems at Kentucky and it had been said that the Trail Blazers should have known Bowie was a bigger risk. But the Trail Blazers did have Drexler and even without picking Bowie Jordan might not have been a perfect fit.

Peace
One of those two missed seasons was a red-shirt season. So, he played games in three seasons and sat out two.

Even with his problems, he's at near the top of a lot of several UK statistical catagories...even only playing 3 years.
  • Career scoring #27: ahead of Scott Padgett, Randolph Morriss Rex Chapman Jamaal Magloire, Antoine Walker, Derek Anderson.
  • Rebounds #8: Ahead of Magloire, Tayshaun Prince, Pat Riley, Scott Padgett, Randolph Morris, Walter McCarty
  • Blocked Shots #3: Ahead of Tayshaun Prince, Nazr Mohammed, Chuck Hayes, Randolph Morriss, Kenny Walker, Scott Padgett, Jamal Mashburn, Antoine Walker, Rex Champman
http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statist...Bowie_Sam.html
http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/college_stats.htm

He was 2nd Team All American in 81 as a sophomore and 84 as a senior (did not play in 82 and 83)

Hindsight is clear, he turned out to be a poor choice for the Blazers but looking at his numbers in college, he was a good pick. While he had some major injury trouble in college, perhaps the doctors all throught it was a 1 time problem.

If you were looking for a rebounding shot blocker, Bowie beat Jordan soundly...at the time... averaging almost 10 RPG and 2.3 Blocks per game versus Jordan's 5 rebounds and 0.7 blocks. If you were looking for a scorer or someone who could steal the ball, Jordan was the man. Jordan's assists were only marginally better than Bowie's.

They were simply differnet players...with similarly impressive college performances in differnet facets of the game. One went on to be the best player ever the other went on to a career of injuries....never having the opportunity to display what he could or couldn't do. I doubt he would have ever been as good as Jordan became...but that doesn't say anything about the quality of Portland's pick. Their choice at the time made sense given they already had a top scorer in Drexler.