Thread: Vets
View Single Post
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

First of all follow all instructions. If the person running the camp wants you to attend a mandatory meeting, you better attend the meeting in plenty of time. If the assignor wants you to pay cash and does not want to make change, then do not pay with a check or play where change is needed.

Most people have said the many of the obvious things like hustle and be in shape. I will say that when a clinician is speaking, keep your mouth shut even if they are not talking to you. If a clinician is speaking, go to the conference to hear what they are saying even if they are not instructing you. Do not hold a lot of side conversations about the official working the game even if it is about something legitimate. It is to your benefit to listen to what a particular instructor is saying on a particular court.

I will disagree with Junker on one point, wear what is expected. You do not want to be the only official wearing pants if everyone else is wearing shorts. Not all camps are made the same and certainly not all camps have the same expectations. I attended two D1 camps and one required shorts, the other required pants. The camp that required pants was the only camp I attended for college ball that required pants. I even attended a D1 camp this spring and there was a combination of pants and shorts. I wore pants at this particular camp and I brought shorts as well just in case.

The best advice is to talk to people that have attended the particular camp you are going to attend. If someone has experience attending a camp they will know all the nuances that the camp details. You might learn how different courts operate and what to expect from specific clinicians.

Peace