View Single Post
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 08:57am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom
Armadillo, you've changed the sitch and your missing the point. In the original OP, the batter bunted and dropped the bat, then the ball hit the bat. When the bat hits the ball a 2nd time in fair territory (batter throws bat at ball - please note Intentional act), the batter is out and no runners can advance. When the ball hits the bat in fair territory and the bat is stationary (batter dropped the bat and ran), it's a fair ball and the batter is safe or out depending upon the outcome of the play.

When ever the bat and ball meet a second time, you the umpire must decide whether the contact was intentional or un-intentional. Whenever it is intentional, the batter is out, whenever it is un-intentional it's nothing and you have to decide whether the ball is fair or foul.

As others have said, since the ball rolled back against the bat in the batters box it is not an automatic out. You've got to decide whether the ball is fair or foul, then was the 2nd hit intentional or un-intentional. Since I'm assuming the bat was stationary (and the batter just dropped the bat and ran), it is not a violation of 6.05h. You've got to decide then fair or foul, and there is not much room in the box that is in fair territory.

Use your best judgement, however, absent an intentional act by the batter, I wouldn't automatically rule the batter out. The game is played by the players, you are there to officiate, don't over officiate and show that you know the small intricate details of every rule.

Just my humble opinion.
Reread the OP - batter bunts, drops bat, bat strikes ball - you wrote ball strikes bat. The former, batter is out. The latter, use judgment as to whether bat caused interference, similar to the 6.05h reference. The only other thing to know is fair or foul.

Batter bunts, drops bat, and the bat strikes the ball in fair territory in the box