View Single Post
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Fwiw, setting the ball down at the throw-in spot has been a mechanic in NCAA-W for a couple of years now. (Or, maybe it was just last year, with it being an experimental mechanic the year before?) Anyway, I was against it for all the reasons listed above - people tripping over it, kicking it away, taking it when you're not looking, etc. But I have not seen or heard any examples of those problems. The main reason for this mechanic is communication with the players and coaches as to where the ball is to be put in play. Usually the best example of this happens near the end of a game - there's a turnover, the ball goes OOB along the baseline, then there's a TO. The crew might get together near center court to go over things (who's got last shot, watch for the trap on the throw-in, keep an eye out for intentional fouls, white's in the bonus, but blue still has only 5, let's stay in this one, etc.), and that's when usually an asst. coach sticks their head out of the huddle and asks, "Where's the ball?". Now all we have to do is point at the ball sitting right on the throw-in spot.

In most other normal game situations, the official administering the throw-in will be standing right next to the ball, so there are less opportunities for shenanigans and stuff. I was against the mechanic in the beginning, but I've grown accustomed to it.

(Used with permission.)