View Single Post
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Might as well jump in this...first let me state these opinions;

1) The Suns players messed up and should have known the rules. From the few times I have seen the tape, I think Stoudimire was already returning to or back at his bench when the "altercation" started becuase it started when Nash got up and his coach got to him while he was on the floor.

2) Using the definition of altercation...Duncan should have been suspended. Not surprised he wasn't as he probably get the best level of favorable treatment by the powers that be...similar to Lebron, Wade, Anthony, Shaq, Bryant and a few others (and we all know the stars get preferential treatment)...just not sure why Stoudimire seems to be a step below them...not a big step, but a step just the same.

3) Spurs have a reputation...fairly or not...of being VERY aggressive/borderline dirty. IMO, that is based on the play of a couple of players but it seems the entire organization gets painted with the broad brush some times.

Now, knowing that is my perception let me say that Stern "screwed the pooch" on this one. He had a couple of outs and did not take either. (1) He could have said that, using the Webster definition of altercation and a strict interpretation of that rule, Duncan would need to be suspended for his earlier act, but that would have been taking it to an illogical extreme. Given that Duncan would not be suspended, it seems equitable that no suspension be handed out to Stoudimire and Diaw because they were off floor before the altercation began to escalate. (2) Since the rule only states that a player receive a 1 game suspension for leaving the bench area but does not address when the suspension must be served, he has decided not to force Phoenix to be put at a disadvantage because of the flagrant and uncessary act of an opponent during the playoffs. Since the series has at least 2 more games, each player is suspended for one game but they do not both have to be out for the next game and he will let Phoenix decide who misses each game.

JMO, not that it matters.