View Single Post
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 10:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think Greg Anthony of ESPN made a great point. The rule in this case needs to be black and white because it works.

DUI laws are often black and white too. When the laws gave cops the opportunity to use interpretation, people would not go to jail or even lose their licenses. Now you get caught, you go to jail in just about every state I can think of no questions and no interpretations.
Stop, please stop.!!! You cannot compare in any way, shape or form the DUI laws to a basketball game. This is a sporting event, and in the interest of fair play, Mr.Stern had a great opportunity to show the world that NBA ball is the best ball in the world, but in this case he passed. I can’t fault him though because he has made some great decisions in the past. So he kicks one here, but he still got a good batting average and a great commissioner to me.

I do not believe like you JRut and some of the other supporters of this rule that this rule is the big deterrent to stopping fighting in the NBA. The big deterrent to stopping the fighting is the big fines and suspensions handed out afterwards. Do you think Ron will go into the stands ever again?

I also disagree with the notion that the Suns players are not intelligent because they stepped out on the floor in this altercation. That is an insult to every NBA player, because I do not know of any player, including Tim Duncan, that would not come to check on their teammate in the event that they think he is hurt. That is a bogus argument and you really need to shut up trying to defend it.

The ends does not justify the means here. Whichever way you slice it, SA was rewarded for a cheap hit. If you want to call this smart bb, then it worked to perfection. We will be divided on this one, but just do me a favor and stop with the rule is black and white and it doesn’t need to change. That is truly the unintelligent way to approach this problem. I don’t want cast in stones rules that leaves no room for interpretation, that was written black in the 60’s and 70’s governing the game in 2007. May have been a great rule back then, but we are not living in the 60’s and 70’s anymore. The game is not the same as it was back then.

I have no dog in this fight. I would be equally mad if the table was reversed and Tim Duncan and Ginobili had to sit because of a cheap shot from the Suns. I am for the betterment of the game. Last, and the big point here, which I think we are trying to get you to see Mr.JRut, is that, others are going to pick up on this disgraceful act, and do it in their games. #1, we don’t want 2nd string players attacking 1st string players like what Horry did, in an attempt to start a melee, in hopes to get players suspended. That is the message that your idiotic thinking produces. That is why I say Greg Anthony is an idiot, he is stuck in yester-years and doesn’t want to move forward, like you are. You are encouraging cheap play by suggesting this rule doesn’t need to change. You are encouraging bench players to attack starting players just because they are getting beat. If I can take him out and you out, and we win the series because of it. I’m going to look like a saint.