View Single Post
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
How is this undue pressure on the pitcher? The other alternative is to call the pitches illegal in the game and have them adjust in the game situation. Now there is pressure, embarrassment, and penalties. This is just a courtesy from the umpires. Take it for what it is. Fix it or be penalized for it. If anything the coach should be thanking the umpires for the courtesy. Yes we are not coaches and they didn't talk to the pitcher did they, they talked to the coach, so it was his option to fix it or not. Just my $.02.
1. It is undue pressure because right or wrong the pitchers normal pregame warmups is being disrupted. The umpire has interjected an element that is foreign to the normal "rituals" the pitcher uses to warm-up. That is not my job as an umpire to play head games with the coach or his pitcher . Besides, the reason for warmup is just that. To loosen the arm for pitching in the game. I couldn't care less whether the mechanincs used are by rule or not. (Until the game starts!!!!)

2. The "other alternative" you mention is really just my job description as an umpire. The game starts with the first pitch and then and only then do I make a ruling...ball, strike, illegal pitch.

3. Courtesy? See my remarks above (ie Preventative officiating). They apply equally. I guess to be courteous, since we have told the coach the warmup delivery was illegal we should also tell the coach that during the pitchers warmups none were strikes by rule either and she needs to change or she will walk every batter.